Thread: Solution To The Irish Backstop Problem

Solution To The Irish Backstop Problem

If the British Establishment were to bury the hatchet with the Republic Of Ireland, state visits etc etc. Then if the Irish republic were to leave the EU and join the British single market instead, suddenly there would be no need for a backstop as the Border with the EU would now be on the European mainland. Sure they would need to adopt the pound instead of the Euro and BOE interest rates instead of European ones. They could have their own notes with Irish Landmarks, historical figures like they do in Scotland. At the end of the day Ireland speak English not French, German, Spanish etc and are culturally aligned with the UK.
    Deal or No Deal?

Re: Solution To The Irish Backstop Problem

Quote Originally Posted by PoliticsBrexit View Post
    If the British Establishment were to bury the hatchet with the Republic Of Ireland, state visits etc etc. Then if the Irish republic were to leave the EU and join the British single market instead, suddenly there would be no need for a backstop as the Border with the EU would now be on the European mainland. Sure they would need to adopt the pound instead of the Euro and BOE interest rates instead of European ones. They could have their own notes with Irish Landmarks, historical figures like they do in Scotland. At the end of the day Ireland speak English not French, German, Spanish etc and are culturally aligned with the UK.
    It's a nice dream but I think Ireland is too entrenched in the EU to leave.

I've discounted the idea of ceding Ulster back to Ireland as that would annoy the DUP and would spark off another independence crusade from Scotland.

I've also discounted invading Ireland and making it part of the UK for obvious reasons.

The problem at the moment is that if we want people from Ireland and Northern Ireland to freely cross the Irish border,a requirement that is part of the Good Friday agreement, we will have to remove the Freedom Of Movement red line in Brexit negotiations. The problems connected with high immigration were more a failure of our government to manage the numbers.

We will also have to equalise the legal and trading frameworks on both sides of the Irish border so that the same rules, rights etc apply both in EU Ireland & UK Northern Ireland.The only difference will be that disputes raised in Ireland should be dealt with by the EU courts and disputes raised in Northern Ireland should be dealt with by UK courts. In the event that one party to the dispute raises an issue in Ireland and the other party raises the same dispute in Northern Ireland it could then go to an Arbitration panel consisting of 2 EU Judges and 2 UK Judges to bring matters to a satisfactory resolution.

Why these things could not have been proposed by the UK government is beyond me as BBC pundits on the Irish backstop seemed certain that removing the Freedom Of Movement red line would make a difference.

As for immigration it would then be up to the UK Government to better manage the increased numbers by ensuring that there are adequate numbers of doctors, dentists, school places, housing and jobs in areas of high immigration. Indeed if they had done this before the referendum we would probably still be part of the EU.It's a shame too that the EU did not listen to the MEP who said the UK wanted to leave this version of the EU, implying that if the EU was to reform and the conditions were improved the UK and it's people may have been willing to stay. Unfortunately, this was not to be and we are where we are now.

I guess the other side of the coin would be to give Northern Ireland back to the south (reunification) but that would throw up all sorts of problems as well. Not least potential intimidation or even ethnic cleansing of the British ex pats or Unionists who would probably need to repatriate to the UK.

You would also get calls from the Scot and Welsh Nats for indepenendence too.

Brexit is certainly opening up a can of worms.
    Deal or No Deal?

Quote Originally Posted by PoliticsBrexit View Post
    I guess the other side of the coin would be to give Northern Ireland back to the south (reunification) but that would throw up all sorts of problems as well. Not least potential intimidation or even ethnic cleansing of the British ex pats or Unionists who would probably need to repatriate to the UK.

You would also get calls from the Scot and Welsh Nats for indepenendence too.

Brexit is certainly opening up a can of worms.
    Yes,it doesn't really help that we have some massive differences of opinion in Parliament and that we have seen some pretty appalling behaviour by MPs in the televised sessions in Parliament.

The only way you could reunify Ireland ( assuming the UK was willing to cede it back) would be to do it in 200 years time when all people alive at the time of the Troubles would be dead, leaving their descendants to make a fresh start.
    Last edited by BrexiteerUK1; 09-28-2019 at 02:08 PM. Reason: correcting text

Quote Originally Posted by BrexiteerUK1 View Post

I've discounted the idea of ceding Ulster back to Ireland as that would annoy the DUP and would spark off another independence crusade from Scotland.

I've also discounted invading Ireland and making it part of the UK for obvious reasons.

Wow, who am I talking to Boris Johnson? He He.

Yes you are right there is no obvious answer to the Irish border/custom conundtrum. It is going to take a lot of political will on both sides to find a solution.
    Deal or No Deal?

Interesting thread, there is also the Irish defence issue. At the moment as part of the EU, the UK provides most if not all of Ireland's Defence.

Once we leave the EU and Europe establishes it's own army like it says it will, there will be a real prospect of European soldiers and air defences on Irish soil.