Thread: referendum Quote 50/50%?

referendum Quote 50/50%?

Dear all people,

As an european I have always wondered how in a Democratic State people can accept a "winner" at Referenda with the result of 52%.

Such an important decision need a quote of 75% to be sure the real the majority wants a change. I ty to explain:

The problem in decision making concerning Brexit, as the United Kingdom now deals with lies in the outcome of the referendum. 48 vs 52% . This is not the one or the other: Fanatic Brexitier went to vote, 37% vs 35% who vote for staying in the EU. The third group of people :" i do not know" or "I do not care" part (which is to understand as No Brexit) is 28%. Finally is the referendum result 37% for a Brexit and 63% not for a Brexit: This 63% is percentage of people did not say: Yes I want to leave the EU.

For this reason the referendum Quote should be at 75% ( 67%?)
    For this reason it is now such a chaos in decision making: The is NO majority for a BrexitÂ…

Ed Rouwet

Re: referendum Quote 50/50%?

hi there, welcome to the forum, I guess the terms of the referendum are set before it is called and in our case it was agreed by both sides that all you need is 50% of the vote plus one which makes 52% a legitimate result.
    Deal or No Deal?

Re: referendum Quote 50/50%?

Quote Originally Posted by IanWhann View Post
    hi there, welcome to the forum, I guess the terms of the referendum are set before it is called and in our case it was agreed by both sides that all you need is 50% of the vote plus one which makes 52% a legitimate result.
    Of course there is a official legitimate result, but the point still remains that 63% of the British people did not say "yes! we want to leave Europe". Knowing this, Boris should be wiser , not to put time on this issue: There are bigger problems to deal with in "Our World" : Yes, there are 7 billions of people who want to live on this planet, called "Earth" . This planet? Yes, We have to share it: Not to claim it! At least when we respect the " Human rights" of the United Nation.